CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

back ground

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Going back in time

Do you ever find yourself going back in time? This is what I feel is happening to me slowly but surly. I like it though. It keeps me very busy but also makes me appreciate the little things like blogging. LOL. So what has taken me back in time? Well, for one I now make my own bread every Thursday. I start it on Wednesday and ferment it then I finish it on Thursday. It has got to be the best bread that we have ever eaten. And it is healthy which is a great thing. : ) Second my dryer is out and I want to have a clothes line. Tuesdays are our big wash day so I think it would be fun to have a clothes line and teach the kids what it is like to hang the washed clothes out to dry. Our washer is on the outs as well but I am NOT quite to the point of washing by hand. But hanging the clothes out to dry then iron them after they come in. I think that these are skills that we will need to get back to eventually. I want my kids to know what it feels like to get back to the basics and pair down what we think we NEED to survive. I don't NEED a dryer plus it would save me on electricity because I wouldn't be running the stupid thing ALL day long. I may have to do the load a day instead of the once a week. Ya like I can really stick to doing laundry only once a week anyways. But I could do one load a day and then on Tuesday do the BIG jobs of ironing if needed and mending then putting away . Well, I think it would be a good thing and I don't think that it would be very expensive to put one together. Ill let you all know how that goes. I think Steve thinks that I am crazy. LOL But he is NOT complaining about my bread. I smile inside just thinking about my bread and my (will be) clothes line. I think it is a different feeling with the choosing then the have to. I don't think that if I had to make bread and line dry clothes it would be as much fun but because I get to choose to do it, it does make me smile. : )
Well, that is all for now. See you tomorrow with what I am grateful for.

4 comments:

Kellie, said...

We use the clothes line all summer, but it will take more than one sunny day to dry clothes outside or in the basement in the winter, so two loads every other day might be a better solution. We would line dry all year, but I have no room in my house for the clothes in the winter.

Our line was pretty expensive to build, but ours is going to survive the second coming!! You can buy them pre-built and they are not too expensive. I love the feel and smell of warm clothes when they come off the line in the summer. Our surprise downpours in the summer sometimes cause problems, also sometimes you have to rewash because birds will poop on them, but if you keep it away from trees that might not be such a problem for your. I will suggest that you make the line run north-south so you can use all the sun, in the summer if I don't have the clothes hung out by about 5:00 pm they will not dry before the sun goes down and it is even earlier in the fall and spring.

Emma said...

Thanks Kellie. : )

Mary Q Contrarie said...

I have not used a dryer for over two years now. We live in the midwest so we have all the weather seasons. I got me a couple good clothes drying racks. I use them outside whenever the weather cooperates otherwise I do laundry in the evening and let it dry overnight. In the morning it is then dry and ready to put away. My biggest pleasant surprise is that I have much less mending to do since my clothes now last longer and I do not iron as much either. I dry all my shirts directly on hangers then they go straight into closets no ironing required.

Emma said...

Thanks you Mary. : ) I am glad that I am not the only one.